Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Gave away a greenhouse & orchids dying?

The guy at the nursery (not the owner) said that all orchids
bloom only once a year so he tried to talk me out of the full
bloom Brsdm.

That is pure BS (and I don't mean Blooming Size!). Many orchids bloom
multiple times annually. Our Brassias and their crosses bloom a couple of
times a year at least. Ascda. Princess Mikasa 'Blue', which is taking a
much needed rest at the moment, blooms 4-5X a year, so for all intents and
purposes is in bloom most of the time. I have Phals that started their new
spikes before the old ones had shed their blooms (though that's not the
norm).

OTOH, *some* orchids - lots of 'em - only bloom once a year.

Do dying orchids grow leaves, flowers and
roots? To me, that's the distinct definition of NOT dying.

No, they don't do that if they are dying. What that obviously inexperienced
clerk was referring to is the phenomenon of a truly dying orchid sending up
a spike in an effort to save itself. Your plant is thriving, if it's
growing roots, leaves and a spike to boot. Keep on keepin' on!

Diana