Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
theoneflasehaddock

Default disposable orchids

Subject: disposable orchids
From: (solo_voyager)
Date: 4/5/2004 5:07 PM Central Daylight Time
From my point of view, most of the orchids that are mass produced and
supplied to HD, Lowes and other similar type outlets including many
standard orchid outlets, are meant to be "throw away" plants. My
experience with this type of orchid plant is that generally they have
been pushed so hard to make them flower so "prettily" that they're
exhausted. It can take 2 or more years to bring them back into
reasonable health to get them to bloom again. Healthy seedlings would
be a better buy.
S V

Not neccesarily. I've got 5 from home despot and target last year... right now,
three are reblooming (2 have been in continuous bloom for over 6 months), and
two have seedpods forming.

One of the first ones I purchased at home despot just opened a new bloom today,
after 3 months rest... and has a much nicer bloom than the ones on it when I
purchased were.

I've noticed that some, especially Doritanopsis hybrids, never seem to rebloom
for me, however.

Not that I'm recommending buying them. If you know what you're doing, about 1
in 2 turn out to be good plants, and the other half aren't worth the space, let
alone the money.

-

theoneflasehaddock