Old 06-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Boxwood Question

In a message dated 4/2/2004 4:40:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
I have a small boxwood, less than 1 foot tall, that seems like it
could be used as a starter plant for my first attempt at a bonsai. Is
this a good choice? Has a good trunk with character. Advice welcome.
Friend:

Engaging Buxus is an exercise in extreme patience. After 16 years of working
with a collected specimen, I am now ready to present to enthusiasts for
viewing. );-) Given its extremely slow growth rate, be certain to remove only what
is required to achieve your design objective.

Buxus prefers a fast-draining soil if grown in the northeastern US. As you
progress into warmer regions, the organic component will need to be increased
to prevent abrupt soil dessication.

Superfeeding (frequent feeding) is recommended to ensure that each growing
season delivers maximal foliar accumulations. If you are working with Buxus
microphylla var. japonica, expect no more than 1 inch of new growth per year. If
you are working iwth Buxus microphylla 'Kingsville Dwarf'--the slow growing
form selected by Henry Holman--expect 1/2 inch per year.

While Buxus is a rewarding specimen, I believe it challenges the talent of
both the beginner and expert as a specimen whose calculated development can
yield remarkable results.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob