Old 06-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Boxwood Question

I have two urbanly collected Buxus sempervirens or
English Boxwood in my collection. I collected them
from the front yard of my house. They did take a
while to develop, but they have been rewarding to
watch. This is hedge material, it can be pruned to
within an inch of its life and recover. It can sprout
new branches from old wood. I like it as a bonsai
material.

My club, Kusamura Bonsai in Palo Alto, CA has an
annual show. We create sale trees to sell and pay
show expenses. This year we have a couple of young
landscapers in our club. They had a client that
wanted to get rid of some boxwood. So the night
before a planting party, they dug them up. Nice 1 to
1.5 inch trunks with excellent nebari. I had the
opportunity to work with several of these. They shaped
up quickly and will be wonderful trees in about 5
years or more.

These trees and consignment trees from private
collections will be on sale at our annual show held
April 23 & 24th at De Anza College in Cupertino
California. We will be across the street from the
Cupertino Cherry Blosson Festival. So you can get two
events in on outing.

Demonstrations will be held at 1:30 pm each day with a
benefit drawing for the demo tree and other plants
afterwards. Our demonstrators include Sandy Planting,
who, as a nursery man's daughter has been working with
green material since childhood. She has a vast
knowledge of how things grow and adds this knowledge
to her excellence in the art of bonsai.

She will share the stage with Lonnie McCormick on
Sturday and Jim Ransahoff on Sunday. Lonnie has done
regular and extensive studies with his bonsai
achieving some excellnet results, especially with
collected material. Jim Ransohoff is another club
veteran who has been a landscape architect as well as
having an excellent bonsai collection. He has a
donated planting in the collection at Lake Merit in
Oalkand.

I don't thing these demonstrators would be offended if
I say they have over 150 years of experience between
them.

I hope to see some of you at the show as I am the show
chair this year.

Kitsune Miko aka Sandy Vrooman
(which is another long story for another time)

=====
"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princes(ses) who are only waiting
to see us act just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that
frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that needs our
love." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++