Old 06-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Nedra

Default Lotus Repotting Yet?

Hi Peggy,

I use plain ole garden soil to plant to lotuses. No sweat -
no strain. The worst of it for me is getting my knees and back
to work in unison to remove the containers.

Nedra

"Peggy" wrote in message
Hi Nedra ( and everyone) what do you use for planting medium for your

lotus
plants?

Peggy

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
But how in heck will you move the 3.5 window box when it
is full of lotuses?? That will be awfully heavy - for me anyway.
I have mine planted in 14 inch round plastic dishpans that I
bought at the $$ store. Seems to work fine... and I can lift
them ;-)

Good Luck this year with your lotuses... I remember the
beautiful pictures from last year.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

"Nedra" wrote in message
news BV,

I'm delighted to report that we don't have to get in ice cold
water - not yet! You can wait until there are two, maybe 3
leaves floating on the surface before Repotting. This info
is per James Allison of the International Water Lilies group.
snip

Well that is a relief, although last year, I got the tubors from a

friend
and was running out of time, so I tossed them in 30 gallon rubbermaid

and
sank it. The plants grew very nicely, but now they are 4 feet down and

under
plenty of muckthat has fallen into the pond. I need to get them out of

that
big barrel, replanted and in less water. Although I had great success

last
year, I think this year, I'll plant them more properly.

I just need to find some shallow pots that are easier to move. I have

3.5
foot long planter box, kinda window sill style. I was thinking of

planting
tubor in that and seeing how well it does this year.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com