Old 06-04-2004, 09:22 PM
RichToyBox

Default Use indoor heat on Pond

I haven't seen one of those systems, but I have seen propane heaters mounted
in the house with the water flowing to filter system in the basement and
back to the pond. The problem with the system you describe is that heating
the water would take energy from somewhere. That somewhere would be your
home heat, increasing the amount of home heat needed to keep the castle
warm. If you heat by gas or oil hot water systems, it is easy enough to
take off the hot water and run a circuit to the pond. If you heat by heat
pump, baseboard electric, or forced air, then it requires a separate system
since these won't work.
--
RichToyBox

"MC" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone either heard of or used a technique of using the heat in
your house like either of these:

-Keep your filter in the corner of your basement (or somewhere else in
your house) and run the piping through the exterior wall of your
house. This would serve to heat the water, depending on the flow rate
of your filter.

-Use a tank of some sort to flow water from the pond into the inside
of the house. The flow rate would be such that the water would stay in
the tank a sufficient period of time to warm before being returned to
the pond.

Both of these would obviously require 2 pipes going into/out of the
house. It would not be to keep the water at 70 degrees. It would
merely be to keep it above freezing for those of us in colder areas (I
am zone 5). The bigger the tank, the warmer the water would be. It
seems that other methods of heating are very expensive. I bought one
of those low energy de-icers and my pond froze over before it even got
to be really cold.