Old 06-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Michael Birch

Default cooler pad as filter media?

"GaneaRowenna" wrote in message
After a long winters nap, I am back. I didn't post much last season so

you all
probably don't remember me, but here I am.
I am so excited for the new season!
I am in the process of building a filter out of a 70 gal stock tank. I

found
many ideas and have combined them into my own design. I am trying to

figure
out what to use for filter media. The nearest pond store, Lowes, Home

Depot is
2 1/2 hours away, but I found some cooler pad that I think might work. It

is
blue, called Dura-Cool. It says it does not decay and is non allergenic.

If I
cut this into smaller pieces, will this work?
Thank you so much.

Shawn

Newbie in Newsgroups but not testing posting.

UK based, years of experience in all sorts of aquatics and also a year in
industry testing chemicals.

Really, any inert material will do for filtration, either mechanical or
biological, the first to kill the flow speed and settle the solids, the
second to provide a huge surface area for all the bugs to munch away on the
waste. If you're worried about the cooler pad (whatever that is), shake it
up hard in some water and see if it forms a persistent surface foam. If it
does, I'd avoid it. Alternatively you could put some in a bucket with a
small fish for a week. Don't feed (to avoid pollution). What's it made of?
Did you know they used to sell glass wool as a filter medium? Can you
imagine the damage? Totally unsuitable! If the fish doesn't show any obvious
distress then it's probably OK BUT DON'T BANK ON IT.

I've used polypropylene garden shading as a filter medium for years without
any obvious problems.

Got algae? Fit a new filter in the system, with aquatic plants, but watch
the roots don't block the outflow, and they'll take out a lot of the
nitrogen. They use the same system at sewer works. Grow plants, not algae!

Regards to all ponders, Mike.