Old 06-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Andrew G

Default Garden Mulcher. Recommendations/Advice.

"JustMe" á@á wrote in message
u...
Hello,
I am in the market for a garden mulching machine. I had a bad purchase

many
years ago with the 2 HP Chipper Chopper electric, and I am not keen to
repeat the event.

The garden is of reasonable size, and besides soft cuttings produces some
shrub trimmings up to about 18 mm. From my previous purchase, I guess that

2
HP was a bit light on to do a good job. The darned thing jammed often and
was not easy to un-jam either. Is anyone able to give a word or two of
advice and perhaps suggest make/model for Melbourne local purchase. Your
input would be of great value to me.

Thanks in anticipation,

Just Me.

I would stay clear of electric ones. I know that some people out there may
have them, and they work well, but it can depend on the type of prunings you
are mulching.
People might argue that the electric are more quieter but when you are using
a machine that noise comes from the engine as well as the job you are doing
(ie mulching) then it doesn't make a huge difference.
I would also guess that while a horse power rating could be equal between
electric and petrol, the petrol would possibly have the advantage with
torque which would play a big part in a mulcher as it is under load and the
jamming problem you had could have been due to lack of torque.
Sorry I can't give any make/model, but lens advice seems pretty good, and I
can only agree with suggesting petrol engine, and possibly allow for
slighter bigger diameter of prunings than what you think you need.
Try getting the dealer to demonstrate the model.
Good luck

Looking at getting one myself