Old 06-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Cardman

Default Watering the aquarium plants.

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 22:18:47 -0600, "Bob Alston"
wrote:

So how do you know you have enough light?

The manufacturer of my light seems happy enough. ;-]

You can read about it here...
http://www.arcadia-uk.com/fwatlamp.htm

Generally the lights that come
with aquariums only have enough light for relatively low light plants. In
my experience, Myriophyllum requires fairly bright lighting, perhaps 3 watts
per gallon or more?

I agree that my two Myriophyllum plants need more than what I am
currently providing, but well these are an evil plant to grow as it
is.

So I would either look into getting more light or
replace it with other low light requiring plants like: Java fern, java
moss, anubias, etc.

Well now that this subject is raised, then I would be fully happy with
switching to a twin light system. However, my tank only takes one
tube, where I have yet to see a suitable twin tube upgrade option.

So adding more lighting is currently not possible.

I guess that I will look more into it, when even my tube manufacturer
recommends buying two of their tubes. Don't think that I will shoot
for extremely bright light though, when I wish to use lighting for
both plants and fish.

I wonder if there is a triple tube option for my tank? This is not for
going for super bright lighting I should add, but I have always
fancied using that moonlight effect tube.

So one tube for the plants, one tube for the fish, then one tube to
see those elusive night fish (when I have some...) would be ideal.

Since I am getting two new tank hoods very soon, then I will have a
good look into the option of multiple tubing. Maybe I could even go
into four tubes, but then how much lighting do I need?

My Myriophyllum mistake can be excluded from this calculation, when I
will certainly choose more suitable plants in the future. When
considering my local water supply, then this pet shop should not have
been selling this plant in the first place.

Cardman.
http://www.cardman.com
http://www.cardman.co.uk