Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Heidi

Default Hard Freeze??

I just received an email newsletter from Homewood Nursery (I don't work
for them--just giving credit to the source , Below is their
recommendation to prepare for the freeze. The extra pot idea sounds
like a good suggestion--I have a bunch of clay pots, and those plastic
ones that plants come in from the nursery. I think a rock or two placed
on top of the plastic pots would hold them down, though I would avoid
covering the air hole. I think I may try this at night and remove them
the next am.

Heidi

However, the predicted freezes for Monday and Tuesday early mornings
have the gardener in us a tad disgruntled. Those of you eager beavers
who couldn't wait to plant warm season annuals and vegetables may want
to lay a floating row cover over them or, if you have extra pots
laying around, place those over tender plants. If your camellias are
in full glory mode, you might want to cover them with an old blanket
or similar to help protect the open blooms.