Old 06-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Ivy and stuff

The message
from "Paul Stephens" paulNO contains these words:

The reason I asked is that in the Summer it encroaches on the new patio I
have built and seems to work it's way into the middle of the garden. I also
to also get some horrible trailing stuff with white flowers that seems to
stick and wrap itself around everything - is that bind weed?

Sounds like bindweed, aka convolvulus. You can kill it over a season if
you pull every shoot as it appears - I killed a matrix of its smaller
cousin like this last year.

I guess the hard pruning is the option. You're right, it would look better
than bare fence panels and I think it's actually holding the fence together,
which is pretty rotten!

It is also a preferred nesting site for sparrows.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/