Old 06-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Inge Jones

Default Are squirrels OT?

How come the squirrels round here are burying peanuts at this time of
year? Do they know something we don't about a climatic disaster
approaching?

Also I have noticed that their habits are changing to suit
circumstances. Squirrels have always been known to "lose" what they
bury, but round here they only go through the motions of burying it, and
leave each nut sticking half out of the ground. Presumably they've
adapted to realise that as there are not a lot of competitors in a town,
it's more efficient to leave the food easy to find.

With any luck in another couple of years they will realise that the same
households will always leave plenty on the birdtable all year round and
there is no need to "squirrel them away" in any case.

Hmm... has no one told these people that you're not meant to put out
peanuts when the birds are breeding?