Old 06-04-2004, 09:39 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Raised beds over concrete?

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I have some shady redundant concrete areas and I was wondering about
making raised beds directly on them? These, I realise might have poor
drainage but the main problem I have here is extremely well drained
sandy soil.

So, could I then grow plants that love damp and shady places?

Or would I just have dry but poorly drained soil which I've never seen
specified as what any plant wants!

As long as you incorporate drainage at the base of your raised bed then it
will be much the same as a large patio planter. Alternatively you could
deliberately not drain, and have a bog garden.

This sounds a good use of a redundant area of concrete, and also a way to
get better/different soil conditions.

You say the concrete is in the shade - that will limit what will grow well,
but that would be the same if you removed the concrete and planted directly
in the underlying soil.

You will obviously have to water the beds, and generally treat as a large
patio planter, but it sounds worth doing :-)

HTH
Dave R