Old 06-04-2004, 09:39 PM
JennyC

Default Raised beds over concrete?

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I have some shady redundant concrete areas and I was wondering about
making raised beds directly on them? These, I realise might have poor
drainage but the main problem I have here is extremely well drained
sandy soil.

So, could I then grow plants that love damp and shady places?

Or would I just have dry but poorly drained soil which I've never seen
specified as what any plant wants!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Drainage should not be too much of a problem. You should make sure that any
excess water can escape by leaving sufficient gaps here and there. And you could
fill the bottom of the beds with rubble.

There are LOADS of plants that like moist shade........."~)

Jenny