Old 06-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Kay Easton

Default More berries mean a hard winter - old wives tale?

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

Obviously I don't want to remove a valuable resource for the wild life, but
how long do they depend on last years berries?

otoh - we're now in the breeding season and food requirements are high
otoh - fruit feeders have other sources, such as nectar from nipping off
buds, and oozing sap from wounds in trees.

You could always provide substitutes - raisins and sultanas (blackbirds
and starlings appear fond of these), and the last of your stored apples
which are beginning to go off.

It won't be many more weeks before we're back in the fruit season with
the first of the strawberries.

IME cotonoeaster and viburnum are a last resort - which is why you still
have berries on them now!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: