Old 06-04-2004, 09:41 PM
quidnunc

Default Purple Spouting Broccoli - disappointment

My broccoli this year is brilliant (far better than the greengrocers!) but
last year it was spindly which I put down to dry weather during early growth
period. Do your plants look healthy - they should be large and growing
vigorously by now. My plot does get full sun. Is there more than one variety
of early purple sprouting broccoli? I've only ever seen early & late and a
new F1 hybrid, Claret which has larger heads.

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
My "Early Purple Spouting Broccoli" isn't as good as the stuff in the
greengrocers :-(

One plant is producing spindly heads while the other is doing very
short fat ones. Neither tastes of much. The growing site is a *bit*
shaded and my soil is alkaline sand, well composted and fertilised.

What's wrong?

? Last summers heatwave?
? Inferior variety?
? Really need full sun?