Old 06-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Sacha

Default Is it a normal or tree peony?

MallowKat3/4/04 10:20

I bought a tiny little plant at a coffee morning claiming to be a tree
peony.As
I've never grown peonies before, am I right in thinking peonies are herbaceous
whereas tree peonies are shrubs?

Thankyou

Yes, that's right. Some Tree peonies can look a bit shabby after they've
flowered and the flowering is over all too soon. We have one in particular
which is outside our dining room window. It was cut back to about 3' from
the ground last year and is now up to about 6' at a guess. In our case,
this is quite welcome as it stops people peering in through the windows but
you might like to bear that in mind when planting yours. If it's that tiny,
it would be better to keep it in the pot in a bit of shelter until it's got
a good mass of root and then plant it out.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)