Old 06-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Sue da Nimm

Default Lawnmower advice

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"homer" wrote in message
I was just watching the telly, and saw that Argos have 1/3 off

lawnmowers.
I'm on the lookout for a mower and appreciate your advice.
I am leaning towards getting a 'hover collect mower' as the little Argos
advice box says that these are ideal for uneven lawns.
My lawn is 17m by 8m approx. (I'll measure it properly tomorrow)
How difficult is it to get those 'Wimbledon stripes' on your lawn?

The stripes are put down by the roller - you could buy a mower with a rear
roller (eg a Mountfield) or buy a separate roller and get a bit more
exercise! But in reality a rotary set reasonably low will push the grass in
the direction you are walking, leaving a stripey lawn for a day or two.
We bought a self-powered rotary in the Focus end-of-season sale for £119.00
It's plenty good enough for the 1/2 acre we've got as lawn, leaves a stripe
despite not having a roller, and always starts first pull!
(And, yes, it's me wot uses it while his lordship does all the "technical"
stuff that requires his superior intelligence...)