Old 06-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Sacha

Default Ground cover

John Bradbury4/4/04 11:31

I am just taking over the garden in our new place.

It is fairly small and supposed to be of the "low management" style.

I am disabled and cannot get down easily and so wish to make it even
more disabled friendly and ultra low management.

There are at present a good selection of daffodils and narcissi, a large
patch of what looks like lily leaves (no flowers as yet so I am unsure
of what they are), the odd rose bush and other shrubs.

Can anyone suggest a good ground cover that will act as a weed control,
but needing minimum care so I don't have to get down on my hands and
knees!

John, I wonder if you've considered another approach? If your garden is
quite small and you want it to be manageable how about having a container
garden only? As long as you can wield a hose pipe daily during dry weather,
there would be little more to worry about and pulling weeds out of pots is
easy.

You could pave or gravel (on top of a weed proof membrane) and have all your
plants in varying sizes and groupings of pots for colour and interest, with
perhaps a few piles of large stones or wood here and there for texture. You
could also have some water somewhere if you wanted to.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)