Old 06-04-2004, 09:45 PM
lcs Mixmaster Remailer

Default Are squirrels OT?

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:15:53 +0100, Inge Jones
wrote:

In article o.com,
says...

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:03:01 +0000 (UTC), Anonymous Sender
wrote:

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 18:04:15 +0100, Inge Jones
wrote:

In article , alan@holmes-
g4crw.freeserve.co.uk says...

Unlikely, squirrels have no brains to use for thinking, the only

way to
stop them is to trap them and dispose of them.

Lol! I don't like them at all, but I think there will be increasing
wildlife in towns as long as there are people who think it's helpful

feed them.

Nothing wrong with helping wildlife. You feed your fat face dont

you?
the problem is that we are taking all the countryside over, where

else
is the wildlife to go?

I feed my own fat face (was it really necessary to make your comment
sound so aggressive?),

Was it really neccesary for you to blame the wildlife?

but it gets little help from squirrels.

It doesnt need to.

But
apart from the issues of justice I believe it is healthier for

wildlife
to forage for natural food rather than eat the selection of foods

humans
happen to have decided they'd like to distribute.

That's a matter of opinion I guess.

For example, a major source of food for everything from foxes to

birds
in this area is sliced white bread that a helpful person throws round

patch of grass near the supermarket every day.

During the most recent cold snap when the wildlife organisations
broadcast requests for us to put out food, I carefully obtained the
recommended feedstuffs for the species I know we have round here,

only
to have them left rotting as all the birds, including the supposed
carnivors and insectivors, went for the white bread a neighbour threw
out.

That's life. I hope you're not still putting it out to rot?

Wildlife needs introduction to a new food source. If that's the first
time you have ever given them food, then that is why it was left, they
dont trust the source.

They're still gathering bread now, and I can only hope they're not
feeding their chicks with it.

They dont, unless their is nothing else and I mean NOTHING else
available. Now is a time of plenty for good chick food.

Animals are just like us, they prefer unhealthy snacks to a balanced
diet; but is it helpful to them or to us to encourage that?

Wildlife doesnt live long enough to worry about unhealthy snacks.
Yes it is most helpful for us and them to encourage them.