Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Brog

Default Pussy Willow

Hi, I only pruned to keep its shape, any branches growing too high
across the crown to prevent matting, any upright growth, suckers, etc.
took out any dead branches usually inside the 'umbrella' shape, in late
spring trimmed drooping branches to 18" above soil. So there were a few
branches 2+ years old still no catkins. However a friend of mine got a
Kilmarnock Willow early last year and it has produced catkins this year.
Luck of the draw?

Joanne wrote:
"Brog" wrote in message

My Kilmarnock Willow had catkins when planted 8 years ago but nothing
since, despite last 5 years of being given a reprieve, nothing. There is
a nice half standard Flowering Almond (Prunus Tribola) in its place now.

Did you prune it? I prune mine back every year and never get any catkins,
but I've been told now that they flower on 2 year old wood.