Old 06-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Derek Turner

Default Brassica cage?

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:57:35 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Cage would have to be movable for crop rotation
and accessible for weeding, harvesting.

Has anyone tried anything that works and is not too much trouble?

I use hoops of 1" blue water-pipe (cheap enough from B&Q) covered by a
fine mesh from Chase Organics. Means you have to plant the taller
stuff in the middle (sprouts, kale, PSB) and the shorter stuff towards
the sides (cauli, cabbage). Once butterfly weather is over I remove it
- by then they're big enough to withstand pigeon damage. 8ft of pipe
in a 4ft raised beds does it for me.