Old 06-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Is this blanket weed?

Pete wrote in message
Yep, the blanket weed has started in my ornamental feature but not in my
pond -- yet.
My pond is completely covered with some native-species floating plant. I
would rec investing in some as they provide early shade, before the lilly
pads make an appearance.
I would try googling up 'uk aquatic plant suppliers' (+ links), although

it
may take a couple of seasons to get a complete cover.

That's Ok unless you want to see your fish, which is the purpose of my pond,
so I constantly skim off any floating stuff on my pond.
A large bush to shade the pond from direct sunlight would also help although
it would not be good for your waterlillies which must have sun to flower
well. Interpet do a Pond Tonic salts which is supposed to help prevent the
growth of this weed and it also helps the fish's health at the same time,
seems to work as we didn't have a problem with blanketweed last year despite
the sun/warmth.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars