Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Sacha

Default Good King Henry and other 'odd' herbs

Emery Davis5/4/04 10:22

On 5 Apr 2004 11:49:49 GMT,
(Nick Maclaren) said:

][snip]

] Sorrel is an extremely useful herb, in salad, soup, stuffing fish,
] as a sauce with fat meat and so on. It doesn't self-seed much
] with me, but does with some people. It prefers a damp location.
]

Indeed it is, and also very reliable and trouble free. Only thing is to keep
the slugs off it. Otherwise it comes back like clockwork. With 3 heads
we never seem to have enough, as it's a staple in salads, and makes
a lovely sauce just chopped and a bit of cream added, over fish.

Sorrel is still very common in France, just about everyone I know
grows it. My neighbor must have 20 heads of it or so.

-E

One of the very best soups I've ever eaten was Sorrel soup. My ma outlaw is
Italian and it was one of her best ever dishes. Superb.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)