Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
ajr

Default Good King Henry and other 'odd' herbs

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
. ..
On 5 Apr 2004 11:49:49 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) said:

][snip]

] Sorrel is an extremely useful herb, in salad, soup, stuffing fish,
] as a sauce with fat meat and so on. It doesn't self-seed much
] with me, but does with some people. It prefers a damp location.
]

Indeed it is, and also very reliable and trouble free. Only thing is to

keep
the slugs off it. Otherwise it comes back like clockwork. With 3 heads
we never seem to have enough, as it's a staple in salads, and makes
a lovely sauce just chopped and a bit of cream added, over fish.

Sorrel is still very common in France, just about everyone I know
grows it. My neighbor must have 20 heads of it or so.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

by removing the well known companies

Emery,

I'm sure that I must have sampled sorrel at some point, however I must admit
that I have no idea, off the top of my head, what it tastes like!

What is its flavour? Nick mentioned earlier that it was good with "fat
meat", so I assumed that it would have a sage like flavour, but (presumably)
if it compliments fish as well it is a lot more 'delicate'.

Anyway, I'm getting hold of some seeds tommorow so by the end of the summer
I'll know if it's worth keeping, or throwing on the compost heap!

Cheers,

Andrew