Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Kaffir lily is an offensive name

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message ...
The message
from "David Hill" contains

these
words:

You really should keep this in mind when you start insulting

people and
calling them names etc as you so often do.
Is it this "momentary feeling of superiority in knowing that

they are
insulting someone " that gives you such a kick?

You so often exhibit a great knowledge of plants, and a great use

of
reference material in how you answer many questions raised here,

then next
minute you're like a 10 year old in the playground who cant get

their own
way and who dredges up all the insults and foul words they can

think of to
vent their pent up anger.
So why not consider other peoples feelings and practice what you

are
preaching, and consider peoples feelings in future.

The OP's been in my killfile for a long time so I don't see his

posts.

'Kaffir' is a perfectly proper name for several indiginous tribes of
South Africa (inc the Xhosa) and just because the word is abused by

some
as a blanket term of contempt for any black African it doesn't make
'Kaffir' an offensive word per se. It reflects on the misusers, not

on
the perceived target, just the same as other abusers of
nationalities/communities/ethnic groups such as Jew, Arab, Bohemian,
French (screwdriver), Dutch (courage) don't make the use of these
nationalities offensive.

It's the intent behind the use of a word which is important, not its
political correctness to well-meaning fools.

If a 'Kaffir lily' were the name for something obnoxious, I would

agree
that it was an offensive name. Since it isn't, I can only assume

that
the OP is trolling as usual.

Thanks for injecting some good sense into this thread.

Franz