Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Neil Jones

Default Too late for potatoes

"Mark" wrote in message
.org...
Hi

Yet another question!

I'm considering planting some potatoes in a container of some kind

(oil
drum? large plastic bin?) in my garden. I've never grown potatoes
before, so it's all a mystery to me.

From what I've read, it looks like I need to 'chit' some 'tubers' (are
these seed potatoes?) by putting them in egg boxes or whatever, then
plant them out and wait (soiling up when necessary).

I see that thompson-morgan.com sell tubers for a few quid, but I

presume
these need chitting which is going to take some time. Everything I've
read suggests that the potatoes need planting about now, so do I have
time to chit and plant this year?

I don't have room to grow lots of potatoes, but just a few would be
nice. I'd really like some small, waxy potatoes (I've heard that Ratte
and Wilja are good) for salads. I'm not too bothered about bigger

spuds.

Thanks!

Mark

I've been a bit slow getting my spuds chitted but I think they'll be OK.

Thompson and Morgan sell pre-chitted tubers, but probably a restricted
range of varieties.

Neil