Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Mark

Default Too late for potatoes

On 2004-04-06, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , "Neil Jones" writes:
"Mark" wrote in message .org...
I see that thompson-morgan.com sell tubers for a few quid, but I
presume these need chitting which is going to take some time.
Everything I've read suggests that the potatoes need planting
about now, so do I have time to chit and plant this year?

I've been a bit slow getting my spuds chitted but I think they'll be
OK.

Ignore anything that says that. It is total bullshit. My soil only
warmed up enough to plant broad beans a couple of weeks back, and I
shan't be planting potatoes for a while yet. They are sitting there
chitting slowly to themselves.

Yes, you have time. Even for (latish) first earlies.

Excellent. I'll get some chitting ASAP, but does anyone know anywhere in
Hampshire that I could beg or steal (not sure you can borrow a potato)
some pre-chitted tubers?

thompson-morgan.com does indeed sell them, but only by the 20-odd, which
is far too many for me.

Thanks!

Mark