Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
paghat

Default Kaffir lily is an offensive name

In article , "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

My personal bugbear is the use of 'coloured' as an p.c. alternative to
'black'. Coloured is a blanket term for anyone who isn't white so its
labelling someone by what they're not. If I was black I'd rather be called
black than 'not white'.

I disagree it is worthy of being anyone's bugbear, but the use of
"colored" is a good example of why one shouldn't attempt a universal PC
language that attempts to ban or promote words on the basis of how they
are used on completely different continents. In many parts of the world
"coloured" actually means mixed race, & would exclude black per se;
elsewhere it means East Indians as distinct from black or white; but in
the US it is an old-fashioned word which was once the "correct" term of
alleged politeness -- but which black folk pretty jettisoned decades ago
in favor of Black or African American, though the NAACP was sort of stuck
with it by then. If there are black folk on another continent who would
today LIKE to be called "coloured" I never heard about that, but it's an
old Dick Gregory joke that white people should be called the Colorlesses.

In any case, Colored means totally different things in different
countries, just as kaffir means a beautiful flower to American gardeners,
no matter how it would be used by some dumbass ugly Dutch *******s
rejected by their own actual homeland as just too skanky. Isn't it nice
that honkys care enough to even think about it though.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"