Old 06-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Robert

Default Too late for potatoes

Bob Hobden wrote:
: "Mark" wrote in message
:: Excellent. I'll get some chitting ASAP, but does anyone know
:: anywhere in Hampshire that I could beg or steal (not sure you can
:: borrow a potato) some pre-chitted tubers?
::
:: thompson-morgan.com does indeed sell them, but only by the 20-odd,
:: which is far too many for me.
::
: Some GC's sell seed spuds in a packet 6 (Suttons?) for trial purposes
: so have a look round for those.
: Chitting is only to speed things along once planted so it's not
: necessary and is certainly a waste of time if you delay planting just
: to chit first.
:
: Noticed a couple of my earlies (Concorde) are above soil level, bet
: they get frosted. (can't use fleece, foxes tear it to bits in a night)

Mine were in a couple of weeks ago but they can go in right uo into June
plus if you like. Not such a big crop but lovely tasting.
PS Who chits the potatoes that come up from being left in last year hmmmmm ?