Old 06-04-2004, 09:52 PM
ned

Default Railway Sleepers?

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message ...
The message
from "ned" contains these words:
"Harry12" wrote in message

We need a few sleepers to support a raised bed. They would be

delivered to
the gate and we'd need to move them a few yards, but they always

look so
heavy.
- is moving them a husband-and-wife job, or would more bodies be

necessary?
- does anyone know the approximate weight of a railway sleeper?

Any information/experiences gratefully received.

Experience? ..... Yes, very heavy!!!
If its only a short distance, and no steps or slopes involved, the
Egyptian method works well.
i.e. use rollers.
Thereafter, jack one end up and insert a brick.
Jack t'other end up and insert a brick.
Etc., etc.
Actually, I found the mechanics of the task quite satisfying.
'But, it takes all types. ;-))

'Ere! I'm flippin sixty-four and I pick them up and carry them! I
recently carried an oak beam 8" x 8½" x 6' from the front gate,

through
the house and into the kitchen.

Well, maybe being six ft four helps but that's a flipping big Aga to
be feeding it timber that size.
;-)

--
ned