Old 07-04-2004, 02:32 AM
Suja

Default help picking flowers

Dave Smith wrote:
So I
think we need some advice on what type of clematis as there appears to
be different kinds. Would we plant different kinds together next to the
pole and have them intertwine? is that possible?

The different types of Clematis bloom at different times, and have
different pruning requirements. It is generally not a good idea to mix
different types, but you can get more than one of the same type and have
them grow together. Clematis can take a few years to get established,
but once they establish themselves, you'll have a really nice show on
your hands. BTW, as far as I know, Clematis will need something to hang
onto while climbing, so you might consider putting up some sort of
netting around your poles to give them something to cling to. One of my
favorite ways of growing Clematis is to have it climb through roses, and
if that's an option for you, you might want to consider it.

If you want to stick to varieties that are not prone to wilt, you want
to stay with Viticellas, Alpinas and Macropetalas. You might want to
look at Dr. John Howell's book, 'Trouble Free Clematis - The Viticellas'
to find particularly good cultivars. A good source for learning how to
grow Clematis is http://www.clematisinternational.com There is a long
list of Clematis that are easy to grow, and I can post it for you if
you'd like.

Also, we still need suggestions for that barrier in front of the air
conditioner.

What exactly are you looking for? Perennial? Shrub? Something
evergreen? How tall should it get? Do you have any particular colors
in mind? What sort of sun/shade conditions does the site have? You
could go to a site like www.bluestoneperennials.com, enter your criteria
in a search, and see what pops up.

Suja