Old 07-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Alan Gould

Default Compost Crash Course required

In article , Milner
writes
To the wise people;

I am potting a large number of nettles (yes the sad truth) for a biological
project but I really don't know much about the bought compost I'm using-
I've used lots of bags which were moist and crumbly, but I have come across
several (same brand) that are very damp, heavy, slimy and foul-smelling.
Are these still good to use? The 'damp' bags were mostly at the bottom of
my large stack of compost bags, might this have affected them?

Yes, the bags of compost at the bottom have suffered from poor storage,
mainly in the form of too little air supply. Open them up and empty them
into a pile which can breathe, then the compost should become usable. It
may help to add some of the better compost to the affected stuff.

I would be interested to know more about the project you are doing with
nettles. They are a very valuable and much underestimated plant which
when properly used can be very beneficial to gardening. See urg FAQ at:

http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.