Old 07-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Skirmishd

Default My own experience with Lowes Outside Lawn and Garden lately

KCnRichmond" wrote in message

You Go Harriet....Thought this whining would stop ages ago....Oh, but

she's
NOT whining.........

Mg wrote:

Well, I know it's not nice to poke sticks but I said I was NOT whining, and
when I say I ain't whining, I'm NOT. Believe it or don't. The post I put
here was just that. That someone mistook it for a whine didn't "hear" what
I was saying.

To me it wasn't whining at all. You seemed to have wanted to give people a
"feel" of how it works where you are employed. We had a wonderful store called
Eagle Hardware taken over by Lowe's a couple of years ago and I bet that many
of the same employees still work there under worse conditions. I only go there
once in a while, but the toolguy here says that quality, selection and service
has dropped.

I was offered a job with Lowes as garden associate at
$10.34/hr...

(Snipping of wage comparisons)
Yeah, right. I've made less money than that as a department director.

Retail is notorious for the low wages they pay employees. I think it's a shame
because the workers represent that retailer to the public and it's good to have
happy employees. The work is hard and often boring . You can be treated like
a drone for so long and then you become one. Good work doesn't really get
recognized too much. And, the stress of dealing with customers who often treat
you like a bug or less! I should know, I worked at two different KMarts for
several years. I was expected to call the mgrs Mr. or Mrs. so-and-so and they
called me by my first name. Afterwards, when I worked for a university, we
were all on a first-name basis except I chose to give the president and others
in their calling their proper title when I spoke to them. And, you know what?
The pay wasn't much better than retail but there was some sort of respect for
employees, us hourly bottom-of-the-ladder workers.

I haven't worked in retail for years and never hope to again. But I really
appreciate retail professionals who aren't trying to sell me anything but
honesty. They are hard to find these days.

So, more power to you, MG. May your garden grow well.