Old 07-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Penny Morgan

Default Will using paper for mulch cause mold?

Absolutely not. Using newspaper as mulch is and has been a great way to
recycle papers, as well as keeping weeds under control. I save every
newspaper we get and use them all the time. Last summer I mulched my
tomatoes, peppers, beans and cucumbers and the only weeds I had were a few
strands of grass very close to the stems of the plants. I left a small hole
for water to penetrate quickly around the plant. I also mulched a huge hill
(150' x 25') on the back of our property with newspaper and weedblock on top
to keep weeds from resprouting. I'm filling the hill with grasses and
perennial flowers.

Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote in message
. com...
I was thinking on using paper for mulch. I want to bury it about a inch
with dirt to prevent weeds in my veggie garden. Will this cause dangerous
mold growth since its wet and dark under the ground
Thank you