Old 07-04-2004, 02:05 PM
BJ in Texas

Default Gardenias

Scarlett wrote:
The 6" pot of gardenias that my grandsons gave me on Mother's
Day last year are ready to be re-potted. However, on the
smaller "under" leaves, I have found them to be completely
covered in a black powder! I can rub it off, but I have no
idea what it is--a fungus maybe? If so, what should I use to
get rid of it? The much larger "upper" leaves are not
affected. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Linda

Common problem... powdery mildew. Spray them with a mixture
of water and baking soda. Leave set to an hour or so and wash
them down with a hose.

I repeat the process every year or two.

BJ