Old 07-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default How far from house to plant trees?

wrote in message
I have asked this question myself and wondered at some of the replies.
The information may be accurate but they also mean that the average
suburban yard (.15-.25 acre) would not have room for any trees.

Isn't 2 times the mature canopy for a dogwood is 40'-50' away! Maybe
along the very back of yard right up against the fence.
I would agree that 3' is too close, but no trees even small ones
within 40' seems like too far away. Can this be correct?

I think you may have been a little confused by my previous answer - it is
the ROOTS that can spread out 2-3 times the spread of the canopy but this is
not the controlling factor in the proper placement of a tree on a
residential property. Trees should be positioned so that they are able to
grow unimpeded by structures, both for their health and the safety of the
structure. How far from a house they should be placed depends entirely on
the tree species - there are trees and then there are TREES. I wouldn't
recommend planting a large oak or red maple immediately adjacent to a
house - they simply get too big - but there are scores of smaller trees
more suited to smaller gardens and many of them can be planted relatively
close, certainly well within the 40' restriction posted by others.

FWIW, I live on a 6000sf property and I have planted 19 trees on my property
(not counting the 60' Doug fir that was already there) and have a number
more either growing in containers or awaiting planting. All are considered
small trees suitable for an urban garden and none will exceed 30 feet in
height nor develop huge canopies. The closest (and one of the smallest) is 5
feet away from the corner of my house.

As a landscape designer, I recommend placement of trees on properties for a
living. If you have specific concerns on what to trees to select and where
to place them on your property, you might want to consult with a certified
arborist or a design professional - they are going to be able to provide you
with accurate info for your specifc situation. Some of the previous

pam - gardengal