Old 07-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Jim Voege

Default help picking flowers

"Alice B" wrote in message

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
I discussed this with my wife at lunch and she says clematis is what she
had in mind to go up those poles. We are zone 6 in Yakima if I am
reading the chart at
http://www.growit.com/bin/USDAZoneMaps.exe?MyState=WA correctly. So I
think we need some advice on what type of clematis as there appears to
be different kinds. Would we plant different kinds together next to the
pole and have them intertwine? is that possible?

Also, we still need suggestions for that barrier in front of the air
conditioner.

thanks again,

Dave

http://www.homeofclematis.net/

*heads in sun, feet in shade* are the needs of clematis.

I have found that Jackmanii are a great deal more shade tolerant than they
are given credit for in the literature. I planted half a dozen of these
along a chain link fence a food away from the dark north wall of my
neighbour's garage. In addition, all of them were under the canopy of a
mature Norway maple. IOW this was not "partial" shade. The clematis did
well both in terms of growth and flowering. Unfortunately, that deep rich
purple of the Jackmanii may not be ideal for a naturally dark place.

Not sure about other varieties as the others I have had were planted in
higher light levels.

Jim