Old 07-04-2004, 05:32 PM
simy1

Default Thank you! (Other than mint . . .)

(Glenna Rose) wrote in message news:fc.003d094101c148af003d094101c148af.1c149d8@ pmug.org...

Given that you have that much space, I would
consider some perennial
edible, including asparagus, sorrel, horseradish, and raspberry.

I'd love to grow asparagus there, it would certainly be a good location

Given that asparagus is out, and raspberry is probably taking too much
space, you could still consider sorrel and horseradish. Both are very
aggressive weeds, even though they don't blanket the ground. Right now
(Zone 5.5) I am enjoying the abundant, early production of sorrel
leaves (making lots of sorrel soup), which at the end of the winter is
just perfect for a tired body. And it takes absolutely no work except
cutting the leaves. Sorrel also goes well in many summer soups, like
tomato-corn or ratatouille. Horseradish, of course, you have to like
it to plant it, but young leaves less than three inches are a good
salad green (mild tasting, just a hint of hot). They will be up in 15
days here.