Old 07-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Purple Gooseberry and Red Currant Propagation

The message
from (Julie) contains these words:

Getting my daughter involved in gardening. We went to the garden
centre today and bought one each Purple Gooseberry and Red Currant
Bushes. She would like to have more but wants to do them herself. What
is a good website that could explain how to do this or can any one
here give good details on how to?

We have Lights, Heated Propagator, Root Trainers and hopefully by the
weekend a small greenhouse (if any of these things is useful in making
new bushes) :-)

Not particularly useful.

Prepare a bed outside and fill a trough in it with a mixture of one part
soil, one part peat and one part sharp sand.

Take cuttings (preferably in the autumn) of twigs, cutting from the old wood.

Lightly scrape the bark with a knife held at right-angles, then firm the
cuttings into your soil/peat/sand.

Keep well watered.

That's all.

--