Old 07-04-2004, 08:33 PM
J. Del Col

Default Loquat died

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message ...
"mike bush" wrote in message
Loquats are susceptible to fire blight. I believe many rose related
fruit trees are too. It is bacterial in nature and can be spread with
pruners.( clean with alcohol)
Do a web search for fire blight. I think they treat it with copper.
take care
Mike
Oakland
sunset 17

Thanks for information, from what I have read the signs do look like fire
blight.

My searching suggests that disease has not been found in Australia (except I
think for a very isolated outbreak in 1997 that was controlled). Most of
the hits I got go on about the risk of it entering the country and the
disputes about the severity of quarantine regulations that are designed to
keep the bacterium out.

Australia is thankfully free of many plant and animal diseases and for this
reason people get VERY touchy about the subject. I think if there had been
any recent reports of it in Oz there would have been huge headlines - which
are not evident.

Do you have any other thoughts as to what it might be?

David

Try hort.perdue.edu for a lot of info on loquat culture
including descriptions of several other fungal and bacterial diseases
which attack loquats.

None of them, however, seems to be a good match for the symptoms
you've described, and, in general, loquats aren't much troubled by
pests or diseases.
Scale is the most serious pest.

Nematodes can attack the roots of loquats and cause sudden wilting.
Their presence is revealed by galls on the roots.

Hope you find out something soon.

J. Del Col