Old 07-04-2004, 09:34 PM
RichToyBox

Default Half-Barrel Water Garden + Rain

Generally speaking, most ponds require the addition of water from the hose.
Evaporation exceeds rainfall. If any of the water from the pot goes out
into the yard, it won't hurt anything. If runoff from the yard goes into
the pond it can be quite polluting.
--
RichToyBox

"Daniel Phillips" wrote in message
Hi all,

Being new to this, I'm beginning a half whiskey barrel water garden.
While I figure out where to put it, I'm hoping that you all can
address my concern about rain flooding the barrel.

To what extent can this affect my yard? I also have some mature trees
and planted shrubs that I don't want to kill due to problems that
might result from too much water, if in fact this could happen.

But all indications from my local water garden store workers seem to
indicate that this wouldn't be a problem. And I couldn't find
anything through online searches indicating there would be a problem.
What would you say? How many feet should I place this barrel pond from
other plants, and what can I do to prevent flooding without installing
underground drains?

I was thinking of just playing it safe and placing it on the covered
porch (less sunlight, though, and I would like blooms), or filling the
bottom with rocks high enough to hold a pole w/ cement as base where I
can put an umbrella up to shield the pond from rain. What do you all
recommend if I even need to have concern?

Thanks,

Daniel Phillips

[+]bandito[-]spam = [-]toppler.[+]zworg.com
Be warned, may mistakingly bounce back as spam.