Old 07-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Kay Easton

Default Good King Henry and other 'odd' herbs

In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes

The "Penguin Cookery Book" by Bee Nilson (1952) has to take the
cake.

But surely it's just one of many? I have an 'Everything Within' from the
30's, with several recipes for fruit cake of varying austerity, 'halibut
with mock mayonnaise' (milk with a bit of egg and flavoured with
vinegar), boiled calf's head, skirt and cow heel, 'poverty goose'
(onions and potatoes with a bit of liver layered together to mimic a
goose with crispy skin), vegetable marrow jam.

I'm not saying this is reflecting what people actually ate (my mother,
from a far from well off country family, would not touch any offal other
than liver and kidney), but the Penguin is just one of many preaching
ways to cook and eat cheap ingredients and to mimic more expensive
things.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: