Old 07-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Are there any UK Plant Exchange sites that anyone knows of?

The message
from contains these words:

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any sites where people can exchange
plants?
I did stumble on one that looked good although it was for amaricans
only.

I'm quite new to gardening (this is my first house that has had a
garden) and I am in need of some taller plants and trees but they seem
very expensive from garden centres.

I have a greenhouse and have bought a few different types of seeds but
i was looking for tree and shrub type plants.

Does anyone know of any sites?

No, but there are lots of other ways to get plants very cheaply, or
free. Find out about gardening clubs in your area; trawl your local
press for plant sales and plant swaps. Private garden open days, school
fetes, church fundraisers, summer fairs, local markets etc almost always
have a plant stall. Look for the Yellow Book of gardens open for charity
(bookshops, garden centres or website) and visit the ones local to
you..also a good source of plant stalls.

Small plants settle in much quicker than large ones and catch up
surprisingly fast. Large plants often "stall" for a couple of years or
more. If you plant a cheap 2ft tree from a tree nursery, it will soon
overtake an expensive 6ft one grown in a pot for gardencentres

Janet

Janet.

Janet.