Old 08-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Dustin

Default Ants ate flowerspike

When I got home today I noticed the spike on my Ascocentrum miniatum was folded over. I was pretty bummed because this
was the first time I have ever gotten it to bloom again. Has anyone else ever had this happen?
It was hanging from another plant basket. I have a big staghorn fern in a cedar basket that hangs from the edge of my
roof. It looked like the ants were coming down off the roof, down the staghorn fern and onto the orchid. I sprayed em
with some orothene spray (nearest thing at the time) and took a couple of pictures.

Do you guys think the spike will survive? What can I do to prevent this?

Here is a picture where you can see the hole, its about half way or more through the spike:

URL:http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...s/DSC_1441.jpg

Here is a picture where you can kinda see the whole plant, and the now bent over spike.

URL:http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...s/DSC_1442.jpg

Dustin