Old 08-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Mart Verstappen

Default [IBC] Pyracantha aka Fire thorn

I have a Pyracantha tree (6 yrs old, 40 cm high)that has been a delight to
watch going through its growing stage this season. It has rewarded me with
a immensly huge crop of orange berrie clusters after showing of its
tremendous flowers during late spring/early summer. However, I am a bit
concerned how this huge fruit crop will have an impact on next seasons
growth.The fruit to leaf ratio is probably 75/25 and I am concerned that
the minimal amount of leafs are not producing enough carbohydrates to set
the plant up for the following season. I have heard of crab apples (bonsai)
dying after a big crop od fruit.
The tree has been heavilly, weekly fed during the past season with
my "secret worm wees" formulation extracted from my worm farm.
Do any of you think I should take some of the berry clusters of at this
point?
Any pointers, advice and experience in this regard is most appreciated.
Regards
Mart Verstappen

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++