Old 08-04-2004, 02:32 AM
Loki

Default Potato Planting

il Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:34:59 -0700, "Greg" ha scritto:

Hello all: New at starting a garden here. I wanted to plant some potatoes;
the person at home depot told me to put toothpicks in a potato, wait till
they sprout, and then plant them. Is this true? And if so,

1. Do I take the toothpicks out after I "puncture" them and then the
sprouts grow out of the holes, or do I leave the toothpicks in?

2. Do I bury the whole potato, sprouts and all or do I let the sprouts
stick through the soil?

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like he's confusing potatoes with avocado kernals. Put a seed
potato in light, it will start to sprout from the eyes. It can be
subdivided but potatoes are cheap. So when sprouted a bit, plant it
but leave the green bits in the light.

One can also use any old potato to grow from. 'Eyes' are the dark
bits on a potato. Mine sprout if I keep them too long in the
cupboard.

--
Cheers,