Old 01-02-2003, 12:52 AM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Offtopic: Killing an Oak Tree (A Gratuitous Death)

Please, David, don't equate clear-cutting a forest with downing a single oak
tree as noted in the article you posted:
http://www.counterpunch.org/jackson01252003.html

The ignorant author apparently isn't aware it is not the unhealthy hollow
oaks that are the greatest threat to falling and causing damage. It is the
top-flush large trees that catch wind and and are literally thrown over
because of their short roots. I had seven dropped by the wind in the back
yard of my home one afternoon-- all huge! My mother lost 2 bedrooms to a
fallen oak in what was called a "shearing wind shift." The incidents were 2
years apart, though those oaks were each over 40 years old.

I call it "chink... chink... chink"... the sound of dollars escaping nearly
as fast as an Enron moment. Unless the tree hits your home, homeowners'
insurance could care less. If it hits your home, you are lucky if not
standing under the piercing limbs.

Trees can be deadly missles, too... :-(. Heavily flush oak tree limbs
should be trimmed in the landscape. I would smile on my neighbors who cut
'em down or substantially trim them.

The lawn tree can be too wild!

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

The author articulates perfectly my *own* feelings when seeing the
destruction of the forests around my home to make way for yet another 400+
townhouse gated community, each with its own postage stamp of turf and
sickly malus.

David J. Bockman...

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --