Old 08-04-2004, 03:33 AM
Marvin Hlavac

Default Neon tetra tank

Hi Leyf,

I have a 15 gal tank that I am considering using for a school of neons.

Any
suggestions for plants that would be most appropriate? How about tank

mates
for cleanup? I'm looking for suggestions of what to put into this tank

with
neons for a reasonably low maintenance tank that would highlight the

neons.

Chances are good the fish do have a preference for plant types but I just
select plants I visually like. Also different plants have different light
requirements and many will not grow if they don't have enough of it.

Tetra Neons are very beautiful fish and are very similar to Tetra Cardinals.
You may consider Cardinals as well. They are a bit pricier but the red color
underneath the blue florescent stripe covers the whole length of their body
not just a half as Tetra Neons. Cardinals also can grow a bit bigger then
Neons. Other than that they look the same and occasionally you may come
across an employee in a pet store who cannot tell them apart.

Beside a school of Neons (or Cardinals) I would put into a 15g aquarium some
algae eaters. Perhaps 3 Oto Catfish to take care of Green Dot algae growing
on the glass. A few Algae Eating Shrimps (Amano Shrimp) are fun to watch and
are very useful.

--
Regards,
Marvin Hlavac