Old 08-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Play4aBuck

Default Did I do something wrong to my seedlings?

clc wrote in message ...
Brigitte,

Being as you are in Zone 5, you do NOT want to set your seedlings out

during
the daytime yet. Number one, seedlings need to be slowly acclimated (what
is commonly refered to as "hardened off") to the outside environment. This
is usually accomplished by setting outside for a small amount of time a

day,
working your way up to the full day. Number two, our temperatures in Zone

5
are not yet warm enough for seedlings to survive being outside.

I'm in ZONE 5A, and we have had a string of 70+ days recently, today was 77.
I set my seedlings out yesterday for about an hour, and today for about 2
1/2 hours, both days plants were in partial sun (shaded a bit by the slats
of a bench). Now we are are headed back down to more normal temps.

I would say outside temps of 68+ would be safe? What do you think clc?

The optimum answer for you is to keep your seedlings in the brightest

window
you have (or directly 1-2" below a fluorescent light fixture would be

ideal)

Is that a little close, some fluorescent lights fixture really put off the
heat. My fluorescent grow bulbs recommend a setting of 6-12" from the plant
tops.

Cheers,
Jim